Re: modules have a soname?

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: modules have a soname?
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 01:10:17 -0800

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm tracking down why I get warnings from dpkg-shlibdeps on a package
> that builds dlopen modules with libtool.  For reference, a build log is
> available here:

> https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=jabberd2&arch=amd64&ver=2.3.4-1%2Bb1&stamp=1446749350

> According to dpkg-shlibdeps dlopen modules should not have a soname:

>    "A private library (like a plugin) should not have a SONAME and
>    doesn't need to be versioned."

> See http://linux.die.net/man/1/dpkg-shlibdeps for more text.

> However when I build the package manually I can see that libtool does
> add a soname to the module:

libtool adds an SONAME unless -avoid-version is passed in the libtool
arguments.  Unless there's some use for the SONAME, it's generally best
practice to use -avoid-version when creating plugins.

In other words, this is probably an upstream Makefile issue rather than a
problem with either libtool or dpkg-shlibdeps.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>