Re: libtool and Cuda

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool and Cuda
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 20:44:53 +0200

Hi Adam,

* Adam Mercer wrote on Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 08:28:43PM CEST:
> I was just wondering what is available as about 18 months ago we added
> some Cuda code to one of our projects and have found that the build
> isn't working with more recent versions of Cuda. We have rules such as
> the following to build .c files from the .cu that are then compiled:
>
> SUFFIXES = .cu .c
> .cu.c:
>       @nvcc -cuda --host-compilation=c $(INCLUDES) $(CPPFLAGS) --output-file
> $@ $<
>
> it seems that in newer cuda versions the --host-compilation option has
> been dropped so we need to approach this differently.

Do you know how?  (Because that knowledge will be needed when
implementing this.)

> As the
> libtool-2.2.8 ChangeLog mentioned initial support for Cuda I was
> interested in how to use this, i.e. if we specify the Cuda source file
> in the list of SOURCES will libtool call nvcc appropriately?

No, that would require Cuda .cu file support in Automake; sorry.

I'd love to have this, and there has been a patch for this, too
(and I think it was reasonably good), but again, the copyright
question could not be cleared up so we have to ignore the patch.

If you are willing to code up a patch for this, and to assign
copyright to the FSF, then be my guest.

Cheers,
Ralf