Re: Extend libtool dll namespaces for mingw-w64

From: Peter Rosin
Subject: Re: Extend libtool dll namespaces for mingw-w64
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 22:19:40 +0100

Den 2010-01-27 20:54 skrev Matěj Týč:
On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 23:26 +0800, JonY wrote:
I suggest the following naming scheme.

mingw.org:      lib<name>-<major>.dll (unchanged)
Cygwin:         cyg<name>-<major>.dll (unchanged)
mingw-w64(64):  lib64<name>-<major>.dll
mingw-w64(32):  lib32<name>-<major>.dll

libtool should also check if GCC "-m32" or "-m64" is used, and select
the proper namespace accordingly (mingw-w64 GCC can do multilib).

Comments?

AFAIK if you use automake, you have to have something like the following
line in Makefile.am:
lib_LTLIBRARIES = libfoo.la
This means that the 'lib' prefix doesn't actually come from mingw, but
from your automake setup, right?

In order to be able to change the library name in a smarter way,
something like
lib_LTLIBRARIES = @address@hidden # LIBrary PREfix
would be needed, am I right? The LIBPRE value would be determined by the
configure script. Or am I wrong at some point?

This should allow some library name modifications as proposed here.
What I would like to see one day though is that I am able to produce a
library named foo.dll instead of libfoo.dll without any workarounds.
That lib prefix tends to scare Windows users, but I am sure you know
that too :-) I was not aware of possible conflicts that were mentioned
here though.

You are mistaken. The lib prefix on the dll files is coming from
the libtool variable $libname_spec. It is typically set to something
like this:

# Format of library name prefix.
libname_spec="lib\$name"

Which is then warped on Cygwin by another libtool variable, namely
$soname_spec which has a sed -e s/^lib/cyg/ in it.

A similar tweak is needed to implement this for mingw-w64.

Cheers,
Peter

--
They are in the crowd with the answer before the question.