Re: Security fix for libtool

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Security fix for libtool
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:33:59 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009, Philipp Thomas wrote:

I'm maintaining libtool for SuSE/Novell and have a problem where I would
need help from upstreams.  You just released 2.2.6a to fix the local load
problem.

You need 2.2.6b (not 'a'!) to fix the problem.

If the local load problem does affect 1.5.x I need help in coming up with a
patch as I can't do a version update for older released products.

A patch for 1.5.26 does exist (see "http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2009-11/msg00065.html";). There is no patch for 1.4.X versions. All versions of libltdl since perhaps late '99 have the issue so this is a good time to try to upgrade libltdl to a consistent modern version. 1.5.26 with the patch should be modern enough for existing distributions but of course updating to libtool 2.2.6b is preferred due to the huge number of libtool improvements.

That said, there is cause for concern under Linux, but (usually) no need for alarm.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn