Re: One year since last libtool release

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: One year since last libtool release
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 19:53:50 +0100

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 07:45:56PM CET:
> I am not sure how one would test for this in an automated fashion
> since the only effect is a performance reduction.  It requires
> system-dependent tools in order to watch the system calls and see
> what is actually going on.

Well, as a first approximation, both the measuring and the portability
aspects can simply be ignored.  Just having something that reliably
shows the issue for some setup already helps.  You can even require root
rights; that may prevent most users from ever running the test (which is
good!) but will still enable developers to try it out in their sandbox.