Re: Gentoo bug #249617 - problem with libtool, perl or unixODBC ?

From: Rafał Mużyło
Subject: Re: Gentoo bug #249617 - problem with libtool, perl or unixODBC ?
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 21:15:27 +0200

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 07:22:54PM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > unixODBC bundles libtool, as it patches it. It does that,
> > cause LT_GLOBAL in dlopen call causes a problem when
> > unixODBC is used by Perl::ODBC module.
>
> Libtool 2.2.6 allows you to specify global or local visibility with the
> lt_dladvise_local and lt_dladvise_global functions.

Just to make sure: that was not possible in libtool 1.5,
right ?
> > Now, my question is: is this problem solvable without
> > modifing libtool and where does the problem really lie
> > - in unixODBC design, in the way perl handles modules
> > or somewhere else ?
>
> You'd probably just need to update to a newer libltdl and use its
> features.

Above meant: unixODBC should be updated to use libtool 2,
correct ?

Here, I'm simply trying to understand what exactly the
initial problem was, that made unixODBC people patch
libltdl.

PS.:CC me, when replying (well, Ralf did, just in case
somebody else answers).