Archiver handling

From: Peter Rosin
Subject: Archiver handling
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:17:14 +0200

This is a repost of this message:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool-patches/2008-08/msg00071.html
I'm reposting the message since even though it has a unique subject,
it is still part of the monster thread on libtool-patches, and the
question probably fits better on the main list?

Regarding the issue of merging the MSVC branch...

Peter Rosin skrev:
> One more hurdle is the $AR_SEP issue. It is normally set to ' ', but that
> doesn't fit too well with make (as you have previously mentioned, I'm
> just raising the flag...).

I can see one way out, and that is to create a new libtool mode, i.e.
an interface something like this:

    .../libtool --mode=ar cru foo.a a.o b.o c.o
    .../libtool --mode=ar x foo.a
    .../libtool --mode=ar t foo.a

Then in libtool.m4 set LTAR to '.../libtool --mode=ar' if $AR is "too
incompatible" with a standard archiver interface. If $AR is compatible,
simply set LTAR=$AR.

Makefiles (and automake) can then use $LTAR if they like, or continue
to use $AR if they wish to remain incompatible...

Is that overkill for a stupid space problem?

One pro with this approach is that it is a chance to clear up the
$ARFLAGS/$AR_FLAGS confusion.

Cheers,
Peter