Re: moving to git

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: moving to git
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 08:09:58 -0400

On 13 Apr 2008, at 04:09, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
Hello libtool list readers,

Hallo Ralf,

the repository for Libtool is moving to git.  This means that shortly,
the CVS repository will become unusable.  It may receive one more
commit, removing all files and adding a pointer to the new git repo.

Thanks for driving this.  You have no idea how glad I will be to
finally see the back of CVS!

So we ask you to go and check out the git repository. If there are any
serious errors, then please notify use ASAP.  It won't be possible to
fix up past history later.

I see some anomalies in the commit log, though I don't know whether they
are correctly ported CVS anomalies, or indicative of actual errors in the
conversion.  These lists are not exhaustive, just selected examples of
the classes of problems I see.

I'm not by any means suggesting that all of these must be fixed!  Just
bringing them to your attention incase they highlight actual problems
with the conversion process. :-)  To my mind, point 4 below is the most
serious.

1. Thomas Tanner has many many commits with no message.  If we ever
   decide to move to generating a ChangeLog from the commit log, we'll
   lose a lot of information:

commit a4f2b1f84691970ff2ff3917dbade735f897c4a8
Author: Thomas Tanner <address@hidden>
Date:   Mon Nov 23 21:26:38 1998 +0000

    *** empty log message ***

2. Alexandre Oliva seems to have many commits that cover several patches
   and/or commit authors:

commit 425940e0ab0a7527390a2dd1d2d6bdc44ae2fbb3
Author: Alexandre Oliva <address@hidden>
Date:   Thu Feb 4 12:39:24 1999 +0000

    * libltdl/ltdl.c (find_module): initialize filename if dir is NULL
    Reported by Godmar Back <address@hidden>

    1999-02-04  Godmar Back  <address@hidden>

    * libltdl/ltdl.c (lt_dlopenext): missing space for terminator when
    allocating memory for shlib_ext

commit 8c1f97e1be220e4924a1dcc7adbf8f9a5e55d2b3
Author: Alexandre Oliva <address@hidden>
Date:   Wed Nov 4 09:43:29 1998 +0000

    1998-11-04  Alexandre Oliva  <address@hidden>

        * ltconfig.in, ltmain.in: updated and fixed the patches below

    1998-11-04  Thomas Tanner  <address@hidden>

        * mdemo/*: added new demo to demonstrate building of dlopenend
        modules
        * tests/Makefile.am, tests/mdemo*: added some tests for mdemo

    1998-11-04  Gary V. Vaughan  <address@hidden>

* demo/configure.in: added AC_EXEEXT macro so that the tests can
        work on cywin32/mingw32 hosts.  This requires the current CVS
        autoconf

    1998-11-04  Thomas Tanner  <address@hidden>

        * ltmain.in: New flag -export-symbols; new dlpreopen system
        * demo/dlmain.c: removed dld_preloaded_symbol_count

    1998-11-04  Ian Lance Taylor  <address@hidden>

* ltmain.in: On installation, don't get confused if the same name
        appears more than once in the list of library names.

    [[snip]]

3. There seem to be several commit logs by other authors that suffer the
   same problem (though not as drastically as Alexandre Oliva):

commit 36e0c3cf907adc811e3ba6e86ef0bb3190e943ae
Author: Frank Ch. Eigler <address@hidden>
Date:   Sun Apr 25 18:54:24 1999 +0000

    * libtool.m4 (cygwin*): Look for target objdump tool.
* ltconfig.in (cygwin*, file_magic_cmd): Use autoconf-located target
    objdump tool.  Track OBJDUMP like DLLTOOL and AS.

    * ltconfig.in (cygwin*, deplibs_check_method): Accept
    "architecture: i386" as optional suffix, for it is printed on a
    separate line sometimes.

* ltmain.in (cygwin*, ltdll.c): Wrap DllMain declaration in extern "C".

    * ltmain.in (deplibs_check_method=file_magic): Redirect stderr to
    /dev/null, to suppress error messages from target objdump.

commit debe84ef9b0d204ad8ee3a04ee82cca862d1ec04
Author: Thomas Tanner <address@hidden>
Date:   Fri Jun 18 14:49:47 1999 +0000

    * ltconfig.in (bsdi4, deplibs_check_method): use a less restrictive
      regex (reported by Chris P. Ross <address@hidden>)
    * ltmain.in: support `-dlopen self', define lt_preloaded_symbols
      if dlself != no
    * doc/libtool.texi (Compile and Link mode): document it,
      documented the -Wc, -Wl flags, libtool does also support non C
      source code

    * ltconfig.in: CR/LF fix for broken DJGPP bash
    * ltmain.in: CR/LF fix for DJGPP

commit 7cc892b2c9d214c279f1ae0e1d6b5d8f85517ca7