Re: Customizing soname

From: Alon Bar-Lev
Subject: Re: Customizing soname
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 21:22:47 +0200

On 3/28/08, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> There was an earlier, much more elaborate one, by Keith Packard,
>  <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.libtool.general/6213>.

I believed I am not the first one... :)
Did not find this specific thread though.
But... For each report you usually have many people that solves this
in a different (long, unmaintained and even incorrect) way, or fail to.

>  And we never applied anything there *because* there was no
>  patch that was nicely portable, or even degrade gracefully on
>  lesser capable platforms, IIRC.

Can you please explain (As I don't understand) how allowing to
override soname when generating a module makes it less
portable?
I truly don't understand... If user specify soname and system does
not support soname, it is ignored. If system do support soname,
then developer has reason to override this. If a user does not specify
soname you keep current behavior.

> Well, I haven't looked much at your 30 lines of Makefile.am, but I can
>  tell you maintaining those 30 lines is going to be *far less* hassle
>  than getting -soname support right.

I am truly sorry... But I fail to understand this statement as-is.

>  FWIW2, if you believe modules are named *.so on all kinds of interesting
>  systems, nope.

Sorry... I can detect this part at configure.
I thought about creating another thread after this one...
As libtool *KNOWS* the extension to use, it can place this on autoconf
variable...
Or add the following:
libtool --mode=getvar shrext
libtool --mode=getvar libext