Re: normal ltdl linking suggestions?

From: Andreas Jellinghaus
Subject: Re: normal ltdl linking suggestions?
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 09:57:06 +0200

On Monday 09 July 2007 22:54:34 Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> Your approach is outright heresy.  With this approach, users would
> simply install a copy of GNU 'autobuild' prior to building all other
> packages.  This would result in no need for embedded autoconf,
> automake, and libtool in all the packages.  Shame on you for
> suggesting such an approach.  Go stand in a corner.

when autoconf was created, it was the right design at that time:
people did not have to install some other dependency, but could simply
compile their software.

but times are changing and the new solutions on the block like scons and cmake
are getting popular with many projects. those require you to install that
dependency first, often even require some minimum version so you need to
update sometimes your installed version. I'm sure the developers of those
software packages valued the benefits of the new software against these
hurdles and I could find much information that many regretted those moves.

by those standards I find requiring libltdl to be installed as shared library
because of technical reasons that I mentioned, but you haven't even bothered
to discuss, absolutely the right choice.

If you like to discuss those technical issues now, i'd be happy to hear more
about the complexity of applications using libraries using libraries loading
plugins using libraries using libraries loading plugins using libraries using
libraries and what happends with duplicate symbols in this situation on all
plattforms, possibly even those symbols being from different versions of a
library and thus maybe incompatible. the only way I know to avoid problems is
to require the library being a shared library, so that if it is used in
several places the dynamic linker makes sure the same implementation is used,
and versioning magic in ld can work if needed.

Regards, Andreas