Re: Question about libtool.m4

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Question about libtool.m4
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 09:34:59 +0100

Hello Steve,

* Steve Ellcey wrote on Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 02:09:31AM CET:

> In <http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html#Distributing> it
> says that to use libtool you need to include config.guess, config.sub,
> install-sh, and ltmain.sh.  Should libtool.m4 be included in that list?

Well, if you use aclocal, then it will cause the code from libtool.m4
to be included in aclocal.m4.  If you distribute libtool.m4 in your
package, then the inclusion will be a simple line
  m4_include([m4/libtool.m4])

(assuming that is the right relative file name), otherwise the whole
text will be copied in there.

It's usually a good idea to ship a copy of libtool.m4 to ease updating.
You can also use AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4]) so that updates of the file
can be done automatically by `aclocal -I m4 --install' (or CVS Libtool's
`libtoolize --install').

> Isn't that where the macro AC_PROG_LIBTOOL is defined?  What about the
> other files in libltdl/m4?  Do I need those too?

Yes.  For CVS Libtool, you usually need
  argz.m4 libtool.m4 ltoptions.m4 ltsugar.m4 ltversion.m4 lt~obsolete.m4

but possibly also the others (if you use libltdl).  Either of the above
commands will install the right set of files for you.

Cheers,
Ralf