cannot install...to a directory not ending in

From: Jeff Blaine
Subject: cannot install...to a directory not ending in
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 10:17:07 -0400

Okay, I've run into this enough that it's taken its toll
on me and I must know the proper modern way to handle this.

For years and years, the following worked fine for any
GNU app using autoconf:

     ./configure --prefix=/my/final/destination
     make
     make install prefix=/my/to-be-released/destination

This concept is used almost anywhere AFS/OpenAFS is used
and anywhere there is a process in place to release software
to its final destination.

It has often not worked when involving libtool over the
last year or two and it's driving me nuts.  Can someone
PUHLEEEEZE tell me the right way to do this?

GCC 4.1.1 today:

build:quake> ../gcc-4.1.1/configure --prefix=/usr/rcf
build:quake> make bootstrap
build:quake> make install prefix=/afs/rcf/system/dest/lin24v2/local/gcc/040/
libtool: install: error: cannot install `libgij.la' to a directory not ending in /usr/rcf/lib