HP-UX "module" linking problem

From: Kent Boortz
Subject: HP-UX "module" linking problem
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 00:29:50 +0200

Hi,

On HP-UX 11.11 PA-RISC I try create a "module" that is loadable using
"libltdl". When creating the module, I try link against a static
library "libmysqlclient". This fails.

  OS      : HP-UX B.11.11 (hppa)
  c.guess : hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.11
  libtool : 1.5.22
  cc      : HP92453-01 B.11.11.12 HP C Compiler
  ld      : HP92453-07 B.11.41 040909

The final link does (removing the -I<path>, -L<path> and optimizer flags)

  % /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link cc +DAportable -g \
      -o libmyodbc3_r.la -rpath <rpath> -release 3.51.13 <.lo-files> \
      ../myodbc3u/libmyodbc3u.la ../MYODBCDbg/MYODBCDbgLib/libMYODBCDbg.la \
      <instbase>/libtool/lib/libltdl.la -lmysqlclient_r \
      -lz -lpthread -lnsl -lm -liodbcinst

"libmysqlclient_r" is a static library compiled with "--with-pic", i.e. +Z.
"libiodbcinst" is a shared library.

Libtool complains with

  *** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive
/home/mysqldev/odbc/inst/libtool/lib/libltdl.la.
  *** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
  *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.

  *** Warning: Trying to link with static lib archive libmysqlclient_r.a.
  *** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
  *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
  *** because the file extensions .a of this argument makes me believe
  *** that it is just a static archive that I should not used here.

but produces a shared library, just *without* "libmysqlclient_r".If I
copy the expanded link line and insert "<path>/libmysqlclient_r.a", it
links ok, So why this complaint? How to I convince libtool not to
remove this static library from the generated link line?

Note that the "-module" option was not used above. If I add it, it
seems like libtool gives up and produces a standard AR archive with
all the object files.

Thankful for any pointers,

kent

--