Re: Problem with LT 2.1a

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Problem with LT 2.1a
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 09:49:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Jeff Squyres wrote:

Greetings.

I'm a longtime Libtool user; we've used both Libtool and libltdl in LAM/MPI
and Open MPI (among dozens of other packages!).  I've said it before, but
I'll say it again -- thanks bunches for Libtool!  I have no idea what we'd
do without it (and for all the help that Ralf W. and others have provided us
over the years).

We have run into a problem with LT 2.1a, however (no worries; we realize
that it's as-yet unreleased).  It took a little poking around to realize
what the problem really is: that LT 2.1a's libltdl is no longer
lt_dlopen()'ing plugins on Linux with RTLD_GLOBAL.

Short version: can libltdl be augmented to allow users to optionally specify
using RTLD_GLOBAL?  This would solve our problem.

There was lengthy mailing list discussion before the RTLD_GLOBAL default was removed. The main reason why it was removed is because it represents non-portable behavior. Applications depending on it won't work in all libtool-supported environments. Libtool is a portability tool. The global namespace conflict issue is less significant (but exists). Making it a specific libtool option (with a strong warning in the documentation) seems reasonable.

I certainly understand the desire to not use RTLD_GLOBAL for everything;
separate namespaces are generally a Good Thing.  I guess my appeal is to
allow the caller of lt_dlopen() to optionally specify that they want to use
RTLD_GLOBAL.  This would solve our problem.

Are there any estimates of how many other applications will be hurt by this
change to libltdl?  We might be among the first of many to ask about this.

This is probably the second or third complaint voiced on this list.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn