with_gcc using PGI compilers windows

From: Christopher Hulbert
Subject: with_gcc using PGI compilers windows
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 08:37:02 -0400

It's been a long time since I've tried the PGI compilers with the
autotools.  I usually get frustrated and go a way for a while.
Anyways, I ran into a problem I don't remember having before [updating
the CVS source].  When with_gcc is not set to yes, libtool is
replacing library files, -la with a.lib (assuming msvc).  The problem
is the PGI compilers won't look for a.lib in any of the -L arguments.
Manually setting with_gcc=yes allows linking in the -L -l manner.  So,
I was wondering if a libtool autoconf test for linking style on
windows would be better, or just manually adding pgcc, pgCC, and pgf*
to the ones that set with_gcc=yes.  As an aside does this really work
with msvc? I thought msvc used -LIBPATH.

Also, I had sent a patch in a while ago about making DLL's with the
PGI compilers (-Mmakedll flag) that I guess never made it in.  I
remember having problems running the tests.  I guess at some point
I'll try to rerun that to get that fixed.