Re: Shared library on MinGW

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Shared library on MinGW
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:11:42 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, John Pye wrote:

The code that loads the plugins is at the link below. It's really old, but I have been cleaning it up. On Windows the loading is done with LoadLibrary. But this doesn't matter! My problem is that GCC on MinGW won't let me compile my library with the unresolved symbols.

In that case, design your software so that it does not depend on unresolved symbols being magically resolved at run-time. A cleanly designed shared library should be able to fully resolve all symbols at link time. Its proper behavior should not depend on what has been loaded into the running program at the particular point in time it is used. Cross-platform portability requires that some compromises be made.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn