Re: Uninstalled interlibrary dependencies

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Uninstalled interlibrary dependencies
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:10:14 +0100

Hi Magnus,

* Magnus Lie Hetland wrote on Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 01:04:45PM CET:

> I'm writing a C++ library along with a wrapper for Python (generated
> by SWIG), and I'm using Autotools for building it all. The way I
> build it, I have one core library, of the form libfoo.la, and one
> wrapper library, _foo.la. The _foo.la library (or, rather, _foo.so or
> the like) will be dynamically loaded into the Python interpreter.

Do you specify the dependency on libfoo.la at link time?

> This seems to work nicely ... mostly. But the problem is that I write
> my test suite in Python, so I need to dynamically load _foo.so before
> installing, and that doesn't seem to be altogether straightforward.
> The problem is (as I'm sure you already understand) that _foo.so
> refers to the libfoo.la file -- but at the -rpath location.

Which libtool version do you use, what says `./libtool --config', which
system are you on?

> I see that Libtool goes to great lengths to have things work before
> installing -- but I haven't been able to make it do what I need.

This article and thread has a bit more info on the current state:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.automake.general/6921
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.automake.general/6912

Cheers,
Ralf