Re: want to port libtool to AmigaOS4

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: want to port libtool to AmigaOS4
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:17:33 +0100

Hi Henning,

* Henning Nielsen Lund wrote on Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 01:38:21PM CET:

> I would like to make a new port of libtool, to make it able to support
> AmigaOS4.0.

It has a tiny bit of rusty amigaos/m68k support, but cf. this comment in
libtool.m4:

      # Samuel A. Falvo II <address@hidden> reports
      # that the semantics of dynamic libraries on AmigaOS, at least up
      # to version 4, is to share data among multiple programs linked
      # with the same dynamic library.  Since this doesn't match the
      # behavior of shared libraries on other platforms, we can't use
      # them.
      _LT_TAGVAR(ld_shlibs, $1)=no

> AmigaOS has now gone PPC, and the library structure has changed a bit.
> There is even a libdl compatible library available.

Cool.

> If You have some good advice, on porting libtool, please post it :-)

Check out CVS HEAD Libtool, or at least a nightly tarball of the CVS
version, search for all occurrences of amiga and PORTME.

Learn in README/README.alpha how to run the testsuites, run them
verbosely.  Post output, questions, proposed patches to the
libtool-patches list.  Post pointers to good documentation about the
system.  The more info you provide, the more we may be able to help.

Cheers,
Ralf