Re: Including static libraries in shared libraries with libtool.

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Including static libraries in shared libraries with libtool.
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:11:08 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, Simon Richter wrote:

1. Libtool takes _all_ modules from libauth.la, and puts them into
libauthuserdb.la.  I only want the modules that libauthuserdb.la actually
needs.

A "convenience library", as a libtool library that is not installed is
called, is linked into each object that uses it. If the object is a
library, it is copied completely, otherwise, it is linked statically.
This feature is intended for huge libraries that are built from multiple
subdirectories, where each subdir builds a convenience lib and
everything is linked in the end.

Using recent Automake, I find that I am able to eliminate use of convenience libraries by using a non-recursive build and referring to sources in subdirectories. A simple Automake macro refers to all the objects which would be equivalent to a convenience "library". Works great and avoids the overhead imposed by libtool since libtool must extract all the objects from the archive file prior to using them.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden