-soname is omitted on OpenBSD (Was: Must libtool pass -soname to linker

From: Nedko Arnaudov
Subject: -soname is omitted on OpenBSD (Was: Must libtool pass -soname to linker or the libtool caller must specify -soname.)
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 02:14:31 +0200

Nedko Arnaudov <address@hidden> writes:

> The problem is that when I link library that has not linked with -soname
> option the resulting executable contains absolute relative the path to

 the resulting executable CAN contain absolute OR relative path

> library. This causes executable to fail to load the library when
> executing it from current directory different from one that was current
> when executable was built. I'm using libtool 1.5 and running it on
> OpenBSD 3.4 box. What is the right thing to do, patch libtool to pass
> -soname or specify it as link option in libxxx_la_LDFLAGS in Makefile.am
> of the project ?
>
> --
> Nedko Arnaudov

Ok, I've just found that it is libtool bug, however I can make patch
only for 3.4 because I don't know if in releases before ELF format this
is bug. If someone with enough openbsd knowledge (Brad Smith ?) can
help, please do it.

--
Nedko Arnaudov