Re: Request for option to disable building of static library

From: Sander Niemeijer
Subject: Re: Request for option to disable building of static library
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:44:44 +0200

Hi,

Does anybody know whether such a -no-static option for the libtool link mode is feasable? Can this be implemented by just adding a -no-static option to libtool that sets the internal libtool variable 'build_old_libs' to 'no' or would such a feature require some more effort?

Adding this feature would not require significant effort, just add the new flag, set the var to no ought to work as you suggest. The question is rather would it be accepted. If you spent some effort with your makefiles adding the -dlopen flag, you would allow all static linking of your software which would mean you could support many more systems.

However, since you, as the author/maintainer, know what linking and dynamic loading strategies you support, and given that you do not support -dlopen/-dlpreopen, perhaps your -staticonly (or whatever) flag is a good idea???

In our case the plug-ins are "DLM"s for IDL (available from www.rsinc.com), which means that the libraries will only work on systems for which IDL is available. Therefore we do not (need to) support -dlopen/-dlpreopen.

I'd suggest you send your patch to the -patches list and see what happens.

I haven't constructed one, but it looks like it won't be that hard to do.
I'll post it to libtool-patches as soon as I have it ready.

Thanks for your swift response!

Regards,
Sander