Re: Using libtool together with the ${ORIGIN} soname variable

From: r ve
Subject: Re: Using libtool together with the ${ORIGIN} soname variable
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 15:15:07 +0200

I'm really sorry but it seems I was a bit too sleepy last night when I wrote my original post. :( This isn't about plugins, it's actually about a few helper libraries which are needed by the main program. These libraries are not loaded by the program itself @ runtime, but rather by the dynamic library loader.

This is a bad idea. Most likely, your program will end up in /usr/bin or
/usr/local/bin, and you probably don't want your plugins to be in the
$PATH. You really want .../lib/<package>/plugins, aka
$(pkglibdir)/plugins . Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

Well, the program used to be a win32-only program, so I would like to keep everything in place like it used to be, makes things a bit easier for me (and for the users as well, of which most will probably use the binary distribution to install the program).

Also, it will not get installed into /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.
/usr/bin/programname would be possible.. (yes, everything needed to run the program is inside that directory) (note: /opt/programname will be the default location suggested by the installation program)

The path should not be part of the soname. Actually, the soname is never
used for plugins (it is taken as the name the executable wants to load
at link time).

You're right, but since I wasn't talking about plugins (see above) the soname is actually used here.

Thanks,
Richard