libcvs-spec-dev

[Libcvs-spec-dev] Messages

From: Alastair Growcott
Subject: [Libcvs-spec-dev] Messages
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:56:27 -0000

I've been having a closer look at the CVS protocol, and boy does it suck!

Mainly the E response pisses me off. It is used to send messages that aren't even errors!!

As a CVS library, do we want our software to store these messages so that they can be retrieved by software using the library?

I also have found how different the protocol is to what we want to do, and realised that the API we are implementing is totally different. There is no way to do a CVS checkout for example with the API we have. I thus have two points/questions:

1) Do we want to have a second simpler API that much more reflects the basic CVS client protocol? This would widen our user base.

2) How do you implement the API? Which commands did you use to get all the repository and version information? Did you just do a checkout and then throw away all the file contents? I also couldn't even find a command to list all the tags or list all the modules, and this is funcctionality that is in CVSWeb amongst others.

Alastair.

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet.