Re: [Libcdio-devel] CD_MSF_FORMAT vs LBA on NetBSD

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] CD_MSF_FORMAT vs LBA on NetBSD
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 12:21:26 +0100

Hi,

Edd Barrett wrote:
> The 0xbe messages I think are to do with setting the volume.

My theory (backed by libburn's sg-netbsd.c and
http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-release-8/src/sys/sys/scsiio.h)
is that "cmd 0xbe" means the SCSI command code BEh of READ CD and that
"sts 3" is scsireq_t.retsts value 3 which is defined as SCCMD_SENSE.
That macro name means that SCSI sense data are available in
u_char scsireq_t.sense[].

If this is true, then it would of course be interesting to see the
SCSI error code components Key, ASC, and ASCQ.
Depending on the first byte of .sense, the values are in .sense[1],[2],[3]
with (.sense[0] & 0x7f) being 0x72 or 0x72, or in .sense[2],[12],[13] with
all other values.

The SCSI command string would be of interest, too.
It is supposed to consist of 12 bytes. The bytes at offset 2 to 5 contain
the LBA as big-endian number. Offset 6 to 8 contains the number of sectors
to read.

> > 010: Unable to access sector 169348352: skipping...
> > 401: Invalid track number 255

These messages seem to stem from cdparanoia.
Sorry, i did not pay attention to this thread before it became SCSI-ish.
So i have the following questions:

What code repo of cdparanoia are you actually using ?

Does cdparanoia emit the SCIOCCOMMAND ioctls directly ?

If so: Can you make it print Key,ASC,ASCQ and the SCSI command string that
begins by 0xbe ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas