javaweb-people

[Javaweb-people] Re: JSP Servlet container / WEB server

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: [Javaweb-people] Re: JSP Servlet container / WEB server
Date: 21 Jul 2003 23:59:55 +0100

Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Nic,
>
> Would you mind discussing this on the list?

I'm squemish about posting this to the GCJ list because I'm not a
member of the GCJ project. I am cross posting to the java people list
at gnu. You are on that list.

> How was kawa working for you BTW? It seems that is one way to go to
> combine lisp-like and java-like languages/runtimes.

With due respect to Per who is listening here (I think).

That's one of the things I'm talking about. Kawa's great, but it's
reimplementing a lot of what guile already does. For what purpose?
Well, partly because it's fun but mostly because it's difficult to
mix the VM and other languages, eg: scheme.

The same approach has been taken with python.

It's always smelt a bit fishy to me.

> And the best thing would of course be if the stable releases of gcj (3.3
> is pretty good) would make it into distributions sooner.

Well, I used to use a powerpc for my gcc hacking and I couldn't get
3.3 to work at all. I just didn't have time to deal with all the
issues. I just wasn't being useful. I felt it was a big retrograde
step because 3.2 had worked quite well.

> You are referring to libxmlj?
> <http://mail.gnome.org/archives/xml/2003-February/msg00166.html>
> I really like that project. It would be nice if more people knew about
> it.

Yes. I'm in the middle of packaging it up for guile as part of a blog
management project I'm working on. It's a lovely library.

> > Lastly, my moving away from java has more to do with me wanting to
> > move closer to GNU and far away from Sun, who have pissed me off big
> > time.
>
> That is both a positive and a negative reason. I hope the positive
> reason will proof the be the strongest. I really hope that gcj will be
> the project that shows how a java-like programming language can be
> integrated with the GNU system. The recent projects posted to the list,
> such as rimfaxe and freestyler-toolkit, and of course RHUG show me that
> this is very well possible.

It may be... but right now I don't believe that they will let us do
it. I'm fairly sure we'll get a call from the lawyers when we have a
really competitive solution.

Earlier this year I had to resign from the Servlet API team because
of the contemptuous way they were treating us. Many members of the
Apache project felt the same way.

Nic