info-gnus-english

Re: Reading the article/message in elisp

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Reading the article/message in elisp
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 05:24:59 +0200

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

> We would like an arbitrary header access function where the
> header is provided as an argument, as in
>
> (defun gnus-article-header-value (hdr)
>   "Get the value of HDR for the current article."
>   (with-current-buffer gnus-original-article-buffer
>     (gnus-fetch-field hdr) ))
>
>  only one that works from anywhere, where the article is
> fetched from what article is selected (or, lacking that, where
> the point is) in the summary buffer.

There are quite a few functions defined in gnus-sum named
"gnus-summary-article-..." (some are defsubsts, some even macros) that
one can use.  I don't know whether a general access function as you
describe exists.  It won't make a programming task much easier, though.

Note that I don't know much about this, I only looked a bit at the code
in "gnus-sum.el".

Michael.