info-gnu-fortran

Message selfdeclared from bug-make <address@hidden> subject Eriksson B

From: sysadmin
Subject: Message selfdeclared from bug-make <address@hidden> subject Eriksson Blocked ! !
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 19:34:54 +0200 (MET DST)

You have received a message containing Microsoft executable content (.exe and
the like)
        These messages often contain viruses, and we do not deliver them.

FROM WHERE WAS IT SENT?
    We cannot reliably identify the true origin, but we can tell which computer

        delivered it to our mail server (the 'last hop' of the message):
        here is what we know about it:
        (should read 'from somewhere etc.etc. by sv2.ictp.trieste.it etc. for
you etc.':
        mind the 'from somewhere', THIS INFORMATION CAN BE TRUSTED )

        from monty-python.gnu.org (monty-python.gnu.org [199.232.76.173])
by sv2.ictp.trieste.it (8.11.3/8.11.0) with ESMTP id g8BHYh207178       for
<address@hidden>; Wed, 11 Sep 2002 19:34:44 +0200 (MET DST)

    The message was claiming that it was sent by  bug-make <address@hidden> ,
        but this declaration  CANNOT BE TRUSTED.

WAS IT REALLY A VIRUS?
    If  bug-make <address@hidden> is of the form 'address@hidden',
        while the host it came from is NOT like 'somehost.ictp.trieste.it',
        it was certainly a virus.
    Else, usually it's a virus, but in case of doubt you can check with
bug-make <address@hidden>
        (This is the only meaningful purpose of this address)

WHAT SHOULD I DO?
    First, relax: you did NOT receive the virus!
    If on contacting  bug-make <address@hidden> you find that the message was a

        legitimate one, ask them to zip the executable before sending it.

    If it's a virus, notice that it probably does not come from the
        computer of  bug-make <address@hidden>.
        Instead, if you know someone at the institution from which
        it was delivered to us, then inform THEM that their computer
        could (could!) be infected.

        Your sysadm