iiwusynth-devel

[iiwusynth-devel] What I'm planning to do with iiwusynth

From: Bob Ham
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] What I'm planning to do with iiwusynth
Date: 16 Feb 2003 02:13:42 +0000

Hi all,

I thought I'd write down some ideas I've been having for a frontend to
iiwusynth in order to get reactions, suggestions, etc, so here goes.  I
want to have a tabbed window where each tab represents one instance of
iiwusynth.  In each you can edit all the settings for the instance; the
soundfont stack, reverb, ladspa, etc.  Each instance would be running in
the same program; ie I'm intending to do this via libiiwusynth rather
than the command line or anything.  One thing that concerns me is the
interface to synths' controls once they've been created.  There seems to
be quite a few methods for telling the synth to do something; I've seen
tcp server stuff, "shell" stuff and whatnot around in the includes and
I'm not sure what's going on at a high level.  If someone could explain
what these things are about I'd appreciate it.

Another thing that could be a problem is each synth's jack client.  I'm
not sure, but I suspect there might be Issues with more than one
jack_client_t in a single address space.  It could mean having to make
synths share the same jack client and have them do their jack processing
via libiiwusynth.  That's not too big an issue tho and could dealt with
quite cleanly I reckon.

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking about.

Bob