iiwusynth-devel

[iiwusynth-devel] RE: Not so quiet list anymore

From: Josh Green
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] RE: Not so quiet list anymore
Date: 21 Jan 2003 18:15:27 -0800

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 15:35, Mark Knecht wrote:

<cut>

>    Couple these two features with the velocity sensitive samples that we
> were discussing yesterday and fluid-synth then approaches a lot of the
> functionality of something like GSt. (Missing ADSR's, filters, etc. on each
> voice, but practically speaking I don't have a lot of time to use those much
> anyway.)

Ummm.. You should probably read up on SoundFont files. Because they
contain 2 envelopes DAHDSR (Delay/Attack/Hold/Decay/Sustain/Release)
actually, one which controls volume the other the lowpass Filter or
pitch. There are also 2 LFOs, one controls Pitch, Filter Cutoff, and
volume the other can control only pitch. There is Reverb and Chorus and
tuning parameters. All this is layered in a Preset/Instrument/Sample
tree fashion to allow for overriding and offsetting parameters. Also,
Swami and FluidSynth have support for modulators (most credit goes to
FluidSynth). Modulators allow one to connect arbitrary MIDI controllers
(and other things like note on velocity, MIDI note number, pitch bender,
etc) to almost any SoundFont effect to control it in real time. Anything
else missing? If you would like to read an intro I wrote on SoundFont
files you can find it on the Docs section of the Swami web site, which
is here:

http://swami.sourceforge.net/docs.php

>    Thanks for all the help!
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Sure thing. I hope you get a chance to see what these 2 projects can do
for you :) Cheers.
        Josh Green