hydra-users

Re: newer pkg-config

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: newer pkg-config
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 21:37:54 +0200

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> skribis:

> Glenn Morris wrote:
>
>> It seems the default pkg-config on hydra is 0.23, which is a bit old.
>> Is it possible to get a newer version by using eg "pkgconfig-0.27.1"
>> in release.nix rather than just "pkgconfig"?
>>
>> Or can the default version by updated?
>
> The immediate need for this has gone away.

Sorry, I was hoping the Nix people would chime in, and then I forgot.

> I'm still slightly interested in the answer, in case it comes up again.
>
> It seems I could do something like:
>
> pkgconfig = pkgs : with pkgs; lib.overrideDerivation pkgs.pkgconfig (args: {
>     name = "pkgconfig-0.28";
>     src = fetchurl {
>       url = http://pkgconfig.freedesktop.org/releases/pkg-config-0.28.tar.gz;
>       sha256 = "xxx";
>     };
>   });
>
> is that right?

The above looks correct to me.

You may even be able to do something like:

  mypkgconfig = pkgs.pkgconfig.override {
    name = "pkgconfig-0.28";
    src = fetchurl { ... };
  };

> I guess it caches it locally rather than downloading it every time?

Yes, the result(s) of derivations (including downloads) are always kept
in the store, which is effectively a cache.

Ludo’.