help-zile

Re: [zile-devel] revisions backup gone, Lisp interpreter shelved

From: Nicolas Duboc
Subject: Re: [zile-devel] revisions backup gone, Lisp interpreter shelved
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 10:24:43 +0200

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 10:09:34PM +0200, Reuben Thomas wrote:
> First, I've removed the revisions mode of backup. This is just bloat in a
> small editor like Zile.
>
> Through lack of time, and because it's no longer obvious to me that it's a
> good idea, I've stopped working on a Lisp interpreter. I found a small
> ready-built interpreter called Lithp that looks good (it's GPLed, clean
> ANSI C, designed to be embedded, and builds to about 16Kb of code). If
> anyone's interested, I can give them what I've done so far with it (which
> is to strip it down a bit and remove some weird features that don't exist
> in Emacs Lisp).
>
> However, it's not obvious that zile really needs scripting.

   As a user, I'm only using zile for simple text edition, mainly for
/etc config files. I really don't need such a feature (and neither java,
c++, ... modes). If I need more advanced edition features than
cut/paste, search and replace, I use Emacs.

   Zile is a perfect simple Emacs-like editor. I'm interested in its
Emacs-like interface and behavior but I don't think it's a good idea to
make Zile a competitor of Emacs.

   My 2 cents,

---
Nicolas Duboc <address@hidden>