help-zile

Re: [zile-devel] htable and variables.c

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: Re: [zile-devel] htable and variables.c
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 03:31:53 +0100 (CET)

> With this patch we could remove the hash routines.  It changes the
> variables.c to use a simple array instead of hash table (I think that
> speed is not too relevant).
>
> Do I commit it?

If I add my scripting extension then a) there will be more entities to
look up (I will put variables into the scripting language name space) and
b) scripting needs hash tables (or at least, it seems better to use them).

Having said that, the current hash table implementation is unsuitable for
scripting (because I need keys of types other than keys, and I have a
better hash table implementation for that purpose), so my vote is yes.
Scripting might never happen, and in any case, if it can be made optional
there will again be less code in the core.

--
http://www.mupsych.org/~rrt/
compulsion, n.  the eloquence of power (Bierce)