help-texinfo

Which is the proper command to mark the name of menus and menu items?

From: Oleander
Subject: Which is the proper command to mark the name of menus and menu items?
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2023 14:17:35 +0000

Hello everyone,

which command do you use to represent input which is based on text
presented by the system, such as the names of menus and menu items?

I write documentation for my team at work. When I want to point out that
an issue should be reported to `group_foo` which also corresponds to the
name to be selected in the menu of the ticketing program we use, which
command would you use?

A) Send this request to @kbd{group_foo}.

B) Send this request to @samp{group_foo}.

This html guide
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/kbd recommends
to nest the <samp> element inside a <kbd> element.

Since Texinfo has @kbd and @samp, does the same thing apply or is @samp
the correct command?

Thank you!