help-tar

[Help-tar] Using --directory and --no-recursion

From: Brian Wengel
Subject: [Help-tar] Using --directory and --no-recursion
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 14:13:05 +0100

Hello tar community

I have some challenges using the –directory together with --no-recursion option.
I’m using version 1.30 on Debian Stretch

The --directory option seem to be ignored, e.g.:

tar --directory="/tmp/fld 1/" --create --file="/tmp/fld 1/files.tar" --exclude="files.tar" --no-recursion .

Archive is created in “/tmp/fld 1/” but it’s rather empty (have an empty ./ entry)

Tried to use different kind of wildcards but haven’t been successful.

I’m trying to create an archive without full-path information and no recursion.

And one could also argue that using --file="files.tar" would save the archive in the folder specified in the --directory option, but that’s not the case, it’s located in “current” folder, in my case home.

If I try:

tar --directory="/tmp/fld 1/" --create --file="/tmp/fld 1/files.tar" --exclude="files.tar" --no-recursion "/tmp/fld 1/”*

Archive is created in “/tmp/fld 1/” with expected content but it has full-path information.

After reading the manual it was my expectation that the first example should work:

-C, --directory=DIR

Change to DIR before performing any operations.  This option is order-sensitive, i.e. it affects all options that follow.

This is for ver. 1.29

Best regards
Brian Wengel

Denmark