help-rcs

Re: RCS to Git Migration

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: RCS to Git Migration
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 16:53:48 -0600

Hari Maringanti wrote:
> We have a requirement to migrate our RCS repo to Git.
>
> We seek your help or guidance in achieving this. If direct
> conversion to Git is not possible, we are even OK with migrating to
> CVS first and then to Git.

RCS ,v files are compatible with CVS ,v files.  Simply treat the RCS
files as you would if they were CVS files and import them into git.

The easiest thing is to create a CVS repository and copy the ,v files
there so that they can be accessed through cvs commands.  Then import
them using git-cvsimport through local file access.

Here is a place to start with documentation.

  https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gitcvs-migration.html

  https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-cvsimport.html

Bob