help-rcs

Re: editing log message

From: Colin Brough
Subject: Re: editing log message
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 21:12:13 +0100

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 03:28:43PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> So my question is, what input routine is 'ci' using for reading in the log
> message, and how can I tell it what to do with control key and cursor
> sequences?  I would be happy (OK, happier) if I could just get it to
> recognize the backspace key in an X-Win32 terminal.  Even better would be
> full use of cursor/ control keys.

An indirect answer to this question:

I tend to use

        ci -t-'Initial message' file
or
        ci -m'Log message' file

This way I can edit the message on the command line, using the normal
editing features provided through readline by bash. Admittedly this
makes multi-line messages awkward, but its a help... At that point
editing the log message in a temporary file can help, then doing:

        ci -m"$(cat message)" file

(where 'message' is the temporary file containing the log message)

However, I find that most of the time I use the version control
package inside emacs to do my version control - so I don't use co/ci
from the commandline very often.

Cheers

Colin

Colin Brough                             address@hidden