help-rcs

Re: advise on the result on the this rcs scenario

From: Aaron S. Hawley
Subject: Re: advise on the result on the this rcs scenario
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:55:04 -0500 (EST)

I'd go with Subversion if your colleague is bringing home a CD-rom, when
he'd be willing to check-out files from your source management over the
Internet. If you're thinking about CVS, also take a look at Subversion:

http://subversion.tigris.org/

Here's information on converting RCS to subversion:

http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2002-10/2079.shtml

Tell your boss that Subversion and CVS were inspired by and are
backwards-compatible with RCS.

When your colleague takes home all the working files on CD, RCS was
specifically designed to take care of that scenario with the rcsmerge(1)
command:

rcsmerge -p -r2.8 -r2.9 f.html  > f.html.rcsmerged
# merges differences of version taken home on CD (2.8)
#                       version checked-in at the office (2.9)
#                       version brought by colleague from home (f.html)
# store changes in f.html.rcsmerged
#   merge conflicts are also put in this file, see rcsmerge(1) man pages.

you'll have to do a recursive diff on the directories to find which
changes were made by your colleague at home:

diff -lr /webroot/sites /cdrom/sites/
# list files that were changed

/a