Re: Octave 5.1 and 5.2 crashing on Windows 10

From: John Frain
Subject: Re: Octave 5.1 and 5.2 crashing on Windows 10
Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 22:21:32 +0100

On Fri, 6 Mar 2020 at 23:55, John Frain <address@hidden> wrote:

A great thank you to all who have made suggestions.  I have tried 4.0, 4.4.1, 5.1 and 5.5, some of the zip files, with and without my .octaverc  file and the GUI fails to appear or crashes immediately in all cases.  I have installed 5.2 on another laptop which I first updated to have the same version of Windows 10 and Windows updates as mine.  Octave 5.2 works on that machine.  Thus it is likely that the problem is caused by some conflict with some other software or hardware on my laptop.  I can run flatpak octave 5.2 or octave 4.2 on mint 19.3 on another PC.   On my Windows 10 PC, the CLI version worked in all installs.  I can, therefore, use CLI mode in Windows 10 or Octave mode in Emacs which also works.

For what it is worth, I loaded Windows 10 in safe mode and in safe mode with network.  GUI octave worked on both occasions.  It still does not work in standard Windows 10.  I now presume that there is a conflict with some device driver on the system.  If I get any other diagnosis I will report.

John

Wonder of Wonders.  I clicked on my Octave 5.2 GUI this evening and it is working as expected.  It was not working the last time I tried.  I have updated some programs (Emacs, Tex-live, Mathematica and various windows updates have been installed.  The only explanation that I can propose is that windows update has updated something on this PC.  But why has no one else had the problem?  Thank you to all who offered suggestions.