Re: Add row vector to column vector

From: James Sherman Jr.
Subject: Re: Add row vector to column vector
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 11:01:06 -0500

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 10:43 AM Jonathan Seidel <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,
I am starting to learn octave. However I stumbled across the following:

I defined a as a row-vector and b as a column vector. Then I added a + b and expected some sort of error message, because the vectors down have the same format. However, I received the following answer. Why ?

>> a = [1 2 3]; b = [1; 2; 3];
>> a + b
ans =

   2   3   4
   3   4   5
   4   5   6

Thanks in advance for your help.
Greetings,
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

This is known as broadcasting: https://octave.org/doc/interpreter/Broadcasting.html

If you want to make sure they're the same size, you'll need to check to see if size(a) is equal to size(b).

Hope this helps,

James Sherman Jr.