help-nano

Re: Unexpected behaviour of Backspace when binding ^H

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: Unexpected behaviour of Backspace when binding ^H
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 09:53:19 +0100

Hello Ciprian,

Op 11-03-2020 om 01:47 schreef Ciprian Tomoiaga:

> Also, for the bug, do I understand correctly that it will only work with `nano
> -K` ?

It depends.  If your 'terminfo' terminal description describes correctly
what the <Backspace> key sends (^?), then rebinding ^H will work without
having to use -K.

But for the Sakura emulator on NomadBSD,

  infocmp | grep -o kbs=..

gives: ^H

But when I type ^V <Backspace> at the prompt, it says: ^?

Sakura uses a wrong terminal description, which means that when in
nano I type ^H, ncurses thinks I pressed the <Backspace> key and
sends KEY_BACKSPACE to nano.  When I type <Backspace>, ncurses does
not recognize the ^? and sends it untranslated to nano, and nano
assumes that an unrecognized ^? means: backspace.

So, by default, without any rebindings, ^H and <Backspace> will both
do a backspace, even when the terminal description is wrong.  But when
you want to rebind ^H, and your terminal description is wrong, you have
to stop ncurses from translating ^H to backspace by using -K.

> If so, does that mean mouse support will be disabled ?

Yes, when using -K/--rawsequences, the mouse cannot be used in nano.

Benno