help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] Altering DOS/Mac/Unix terminated text files

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] Altering DOS/Mac/Unix terminated text files
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 15:14:00 +0100

Hello Fergus,

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015, at 09:04, Fergus Daly wrote:
> >> If I use nano -N on a DOS file, then I see at the end of
> >> each and every line a ^M.  Don't you see this?
> Yes I do.

But when using nano without you don't see thos ^M, right?
So how come you said  plain nano and nano -N behave the same?

> How's this for an ambition for the next version?
> (And where should I go if I want to request it, do you know?)

You can go to https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=nano ,
hover on Bugs in the top bar and click "Submit new".
Then add [Request] in the subject line of your report.

> nano (no argument) = do not change format
> nano -U = if not Unix, convert to Unix
> nano -D = if not DOS, convert to DOS
> nano -M = if not Mac, convert to Mac

Options -D and -U have already been taken for --boldtext and
--quickblank, so you would have to choose different ones.

> So in general things i.e. by default are left as they are
> but nano does allow format changes.

I still don't like to burden nano with format conversions.
There are other tools for that.  Maybe you could take the
same route as some distros take with 'less': they wrap it
in a script that will detect various types of files and
will then preprocess them before feeding them to 'less'.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Email service worth paying for. Try it for free