help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Liquid War 0.0.11beta released

From: Kasper Hviid
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Liquid War 0.0.11beta released
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 23:08:21 +0100

2011/11/2 Christian Mauduit <address@hidden>:
> Are you really saying you're able to download a tarball from
> http://ufoot.org/liquidwar/v6/snapshots/ then compile & run it? If so, that's
> great.

Yup, downloaded the file, compiled it and it works. It's quite epic! :-)

>> Perhaps! I have to think this over. I mostly steer my fighters my
>> moving my cursor slowly, and it might also be a problem to encircle an
>> enemy at an area smaller than your finger.
> Zoom is your ally here. I suspect I need to offer "big square buttons" for
> zoom in and zoom out. Same thing for primary fire and alternate weapon. All in
> all that's 4 actions, which isn't that many buttons (only 4). I think we could
> put that right in the center/bottom part of the screen, between the log
> (bottom-left corner) and the team info (bottom-right corner).

I'm don't really like the idea of having to zoom in on maps that are designed to be played in in full view. I think the ability to see everything is one of the greatest features of basic LW gameplay. It simply feels more comfortable than having to adjust the camera view.
Having to navigate the play area is an obstacle which hurts the flow. Real-time strategy games forces the gamers to navigate the playfield only because it is neccesary, due to the playfield size, and they provide a minimap to give the player the feeling of "seeing everything" which LW has *naturally*. Zoomed-in gameplay should only be neccesary on maps especially designed for this.

Using the accelometer would be silly, but I think that this control system could work:
A) Dragging your finger across the screen moves the cursor accordingly. So the player can both place his finger directly on the cursor or place it at a distance. (Those controls are used by the Sokoban app by
B) By quickly tapping the screen, the player can make the cursor jump to that location.

But about zooming: The standard for zooming on Android is pinching, where the user place two fingers on the screen and move then towards or away from each other. Likewise, scrooling could be done by dragging across the screen with two fingers.

>> I don't know!
>>
>> Android could really need some (truly) free and ambitious games. A lot
>> of the 'free' software for Android are stuff like buttons which makes
>> farting sounds when you click it, with banner ads all over to support
>> the development. The LW gameplay would fit perfectly with touch input.
>> So would its graphic style and GUI. If LW6 got ported to Android, it
>> could potentially have a lot of players ready once multiplayer comes
>> out.
>>
>> But AFAIK, it's a big issue that there's so many different android
>> devices that the software has to fit into.
>>
>> And multiplayer is *really* important ... If I didn't have a
>> Android-phone, I would most likely vote for multiplayer, something you
>> already has invested some time in.
> OK, so let's say Androïd port is the next big thing after network is complete.
> That's to say -> we get a network mode that is somewhat playable, then rapidly
> switch to Androïd port before fine-tuning network. Does this make sense?

Sounds good! The only major network feature is being able to fight other gamers. The rest can wait.

> BTW, I'll have some remarks to do with your settings, now that I changed the
> way the "fast" parameter affects "aggressive" and "vulnerable". It happends
> you seem to favor "fighter-regenerate" over "fighter-defense" (which is fine
> BTW) with, in some cases, fighter-defense being 0. But not always. So on maps
> with fighter-defense being non-zero, blue, as an example, appears over-strong
> (beats red any day). This might require consolidation before being fixed, but
> I just thought you could be interested by that side effect.

You're right, blue did actually beat me quite badly when I tried out my freshly compilend LW6. Some fine-tuning might be needed!

- Kasper