help-gv

[help-gv] Re: Incorrect object count in object stream

From: Markus Steinborn
Subject: [help-gv] Re: Incorrect object count in object stream
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 17:58:52 +0200

Hi bryan,

brian wrote:
[off-list]

Markus, thanks again for the offer to have a look at this. I also
found that Preview.app on Mac had problems with the same files: they
would open but some images would not display.
I'll do another test on Mac OS X later. Here are the results for Linux:
I'm pretty sure that the
problem is that the PDFs were created with Adobe CS4 with a
"compatibility" setting of "PDF 1.7". I've let the client know that
they should "save down" those particular files.

(We still send book manuscripts to the printer saved as 1.4!)

That said, I'll send you an example as I figure you'd like to see
what's going on, nonetheless.

many regards,
brian ally

Well, on my system "gv -noantialias Sawfly\ Sales\ Sheet.pdf" works, where the usual "gv Sawfly\ Sales\ Sheet.pdf" fails on page 2.
Plain ghostscript fails also (even when using latest GPL ghostscript):

gs -sDEVICE=x11alpha Sawfly\ Sales\ Sheet.pdf

fails, and

gs -sDEVICE=x11 Sawfly\ Sales\ Sheet.pdf

works. As ghostscript can render this file with some settings and with others not, there is definitely a ghostscript bug.

You see, if ghostscript crashes, there is absolutely no change for GNU gv to work correctly.

You should report a bug.

Some places for bug reports where this bug report would be on topic:

http://bugzilla.redhat.com

http://bugs.ghostscript.com

Greetings from Germany

Markus Steinborn