help-gv

[help-gv] Installing gv on Mac OS X 10.5.1

From: Alan Fry
Subject: [help-gv] Installing gv on Mac OS X 10.5.1
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:40:55 +0000

I wonder if anyone could help with the installation of GhostView on Mac OS X Leopard.

GS is present and working in /usr/local bin/.

iInstaller (which I have used successfully in the past) now fails because /usr/X11R6//lib/libXaw3d.dylib is missing. In that directory there is no 'libXaw3d.dylib, but there is 'libXaw.6.dylib' (and other variants).

I have tried going down the Darwin Ports route and installed 'Darwin Ports'. The instructions for installing gv are to execute:

        % cd /opt/local/portslocation/dports/ghostview
        % sudo port install ghostview

However the cd fails because there is no directory '/opt/local/ portslocation/'.

Matters are not helped by the fact that 'iInstaller' is unsupported since January 2007 and the 'opendarwin.org' web-site seems to have been closed down!

Frankly I am lost at this point and would be most grateful for any help.

Alan Fry