Re: Help-gsl Digest, Vol 229, Issue 1

From: Brorson, Stuart
Subject: Re: Help-gsl Digest, Vol 229, Issue 1
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 18:45:43 +0000

I looked at your two matrices of eigenvectors.  Thank you for sending them.

Upon my investigation, I found that the column vectors (the eigenvectors) which
look different are actually scalar multiples of each other.  However, since you
are dealing with complex eigenvectors, the multiple is not +/-1, but is rather
a phase, exp(i*phi).

I suggest you form ratios of each of the column pairs (column i from C++ and
column i from Python) and observe that the ratio is the same for all elements.
That says each column vector is just a scalar multiple of the other one, and
both are valid eigenvectors.  In fact, they are the same set of eigenvectors,
except they can differ by a phase factor.

Best regards,
Stuart Brorson
Northeastern University
Boston, Mass