help-gnuastro

Re: Regarding astsegment clump detection

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: Re: Regarding astsegment clump detection
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 15:42:17 +0200

Hi Chandan,

The Segment program doesn't provide semi-major and semi-minor axis measurements, do you mean MakeCatalog's output catalog of Segement's clumps?

The semi-major and semi-minor axises are calculated differently from the FWHM; you can see how they are calculated here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/manual/html_node/Measuring-elliptical-parameters.html

But with MakeCatalog, you can also measure the FWHM of clumps using the '--fwhm' option. But be careful with very faint clumps: because even a star that is too close to the noise its "Maximum" (for the half-max of FWHM) can be very noisy; and thus your FWHM measurements will be very noisy in the faint-end.

Regarding your question on the "realistic"-ness of the clumps, a signal-to-noise of 3 sounds pretty non-noisy. But the best way is to use the '--upperlimit-sigma' column/option of MakeCatalog, which will take the clump/object footprint and place it randomly over un-detected parts of the image for a large number of times (you can set the number of random positions to test with the '--upnum' option); it is described more fully in these sections of the manual:

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/manual/html_node/Upper-limit-magnitude-of-each-detection.html

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/manual/html_node/Brightness-measurements.html

Cheers,
Mohammad