Re: [Help-gnu-radius] As quickly Radius works

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] As quickly Radius works
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 00:01:40 +0200

Rodion Musin <address@hidden> wrote:

> My question: Can GNU Radius to process 100-120 requests in a second?

On my box it runs with an average 70 auth requests and 130 in peaks.

> If yes, Than how must I configure it ?

It depends mainly on the hardware you have. On my server I run it
with global max-requests 512,  max-processes 16; Auth section has
max-requests 256.

> And second question: What maximal speed of processing of packages at
> Radius ?
> What maximum quantity of packages which can expect processing in turn
> (the maximal value of parameter max-requests)?

Both depend heavily on the complexity of your configuration, the
hardware capacity and its load average.

> ----------------
> My config parameters:
>

> option {
>         source-ip 217.1.161.34;
>         usr2delay 30;

Are you using some *very* old version? This parameter has long since
been gone.

>         max-requests 1024;
> };
>

> acct {
>         max-requests 127;
>         request-cleanup-delay 15;
> };
>
> I try to change:
>         max-requests 512;
>         request-cleanup-delay 2;

request-cleanup-delay has little impact on the speed. Besides, notice
that you cannot freely modify it, as it depends on your NAS settings. This
subject has been discussed plentily on the list, see for example:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-radius/2004-03/msg00028.html

Regards,
Sergey