[Help-gnu-radius] mac address access list

From: Bill Hamlin
Subject: [Help-gnu-radius] mac address access list
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:04:48 -0400

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm a newbie.

I want to create a subscription environment that allows clients to access my
wifi hotspot based on a MAC address registered with my billing system.  My
access point (AP) sends me a RADIUS Access Request when it sees a new
client.  The Request has as its User-Name field the MAC address of the
device wanting access to the network.  At this point I want to merely look
up whether this MAC address is registered and send back an "Access-Accept"
if so.

It looks like I could do this in the 'users' file by using the 'Auth-Type =
Accept'.  But that means I'd have to maintain this text file as MAC
addresses are added and removed from my billing system.  (If you change the
users file do you have to signal radiusd to reload it?)

What I'd prefer is to use an SQL database and run a query (select userid
from users where mac=..).  I'm looking at the PAM stuff and that looks like
it's going to involve prompting for a password, which I don't want.  The AP
doesnt support that.

What do you think is the best way for me to handle this?

Thanks,
Bill Hamlin