Re: [Help-gnu-radius] MySQL Problems

From: Gerald
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] MySQL Problems
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:20:35 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, Rodrigo Araujo wrote:

>     Well, I decided to upgrade one of radius to the v1.2, however I
> found something strange on server. On firsts days everything was fine,
> but the MySQL gonna be crazy :). The server has 1Gb of RAM memory and
> the Mysql is using all free RAM memory causing the use of swap memory
> and makes the server going down.

Did you upgrade both mysql and gnu-radius? Where to begin.

Mysql 3.23.58 is the latest of the 3.23 line. mysql 4.0 or 4.1 is the
recommended release from mysql now. The short answer to your question
is there is nothing in gnu-radius that you can configure to make mysql
behave better except to point authentication to something other than
mysql. (which isn't a real solution.)

>     Is there a kind of configuration on GNURadius to solve this
> problem ? I come back to the v0.96.4 on both radius and the problem
> not happened anymore.

There were a lot of improvements to the gnu-radius code in the jump to
1.0. If you only upgraded radius and not the mysql server you could have
introduced a new race condition that brings out a memory leak in the
mysql database.

Pretty much anyone on both this list and the mysql list would say to use
the latest patched versions of at least the series you are on, if not
the latest generally recommended software. With the versions of software
you mentioned, I would work on bringing the mysql server up to date
before doing gnu-radius, even if it does pain me a little to still see
0.96.4 in use knowing the improvements that have been made in the code.

Gerald