Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Authenticate with PAM (no LDAP) (REPOST)

From: Greg G
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Authenticate with PAM (no LDAP) (REPOST)
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 12:27:49 -0500

Thanks. I finally disovered what might really have been happening. For S&G, I built my own pam_permit (which worked) and pam_ldap (which didn't). It turns out that when ldap_search_s was being called, the pam module was seg-faulting! I was able to call ldap_search_s from a program that I ran from the command line. I have no good explanation for this, other than Solaris is wonky. I moved all of my code over to a Linux box and *foop* it worked.
-Greg G

Sergey Poznyakoff wrote:

Greg G <address@hidden> wrote:

radius  auth            required        pam_unix_auth.so.1
radius  account         required        pam_unix_auth.so.1

pam_unix_auth.so.1 failed to authenticate the user, as shown by
the diagnostics below:

Mar 02 13:58:13 Auth.debug: pam.c:130:pam_pass: pam_authenticate: 9

(It returns 0 if everything went OK).

I know the password is correct, as I just set it.  Any idea what I'm
doing wrong here?

The password may be correct, but some other prerequisites needed for
pam_unix_auth.so are obviously missing. Try enabling debugging
diagnostics for pam_unix_auth.so. Usually this is done by giving it
"debug" or "audit" as its argument, but this may depend on the flavor
of PAM you are running.

Regards,
Sergey